In September of 2014, we took our first steps in the Primary Education Stage as a bilingual center. That year, it was decided that the three lines of first grade of primary school would be bilingual. From that moment, we are making progress in the implementation schedule as a target, where the school year 2019/2020 will be implemented throughout the Primary Stage and we will be able to give continuity with Secondary Education.
What actions are we carrying out?
Having the aim that our students will improve their linguistic communication competence in several languages, we are taking the following plan of action:
- Implementation of bilingual subjects: Currently, the subjects: Natural Science, Social Science, Art (1st and 2nd grade), and Physical Education are taught bilingually.
- Agreement with the IES Abroad Foundations: The IES Abroad Foundation has an agreement with universities in various countries of the world. Thanks to them, we can count on Unites States college students who have internships related to their future career in our school. These students spend at least one hour every week in each of the Primary Education classes and help our teachers in the areas of languages and bilingualism.
- Agreements and partnerships with schools in the United Kingdom: We are in contact with various schools in the United Kingdom with which we do specific activities throughout the school year that are helpful for our students to approach the English culture.
- Offering of extra-curricular activities: Within the extracurricular activities offered at the center, we have the language academies that provide English classes in the afternoons/evenings. In addition, Sports Club Maristas provides bilingual basic physical education activities.
- Creation of blog resources for teachers and families: For several years, we have been creating a blog in which we upload and update resources both for teachers and families to use from home.
- Teacher training: Commitment to bilingualism requires a specific training of teachers in this field. In this line, two lines of action are being promoted from the school. On the one hand, we have the linguistic empowerment of teachers to teach in bilingual mode. On the other hand, we find specific training in bilingual innovative methodologies which highlight the CLIL methodology.
Therefore, with our project of bilingualism, we try to give a quality touch to our school to make the students more competent, with the capacity to resolve problems and prepare them for challenges to face the globalized society in which we live where the domain of several languages is becoming a necessary factor.